What you'll learn on this page:
- International Arrivals COVID-19 Testing
- Are you eligible?
- How to participate
- Questions and answers
International Arrivals COVID-19 Testing
The Ontario government is launching a COVID-19 testing program at Toronto Pearson, starting on January 6, 2021. This pilot program will offer free voluntary tests for international passengers arriving in Canada. Testing will be made available at both Terminal 1 and Terminal 3, administered by Switch Health.
This Arrivals Testing Pilot Program is another layer of protection for Ontario communities, part of the Healthy Airport program that is helping to limit the spread of COVID-19.
This airport testing pilot program is an important first step, which may also help inform the development of future testing programs for broader implementation to support the eventual safe reopening of borders.
Ontario’s airport testing pilot program is in addition to the new Government of Canada pre-departure requirement for travellers bound to Canada to demonstrate proof of negative COVID-19 results from a test taken within three days prior to departure.
Are you eligible?
Eligible candidates of the pilot include:
- Returning Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Foreign nationals currently permitted entry into Canada (for example, immediate and extended family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents)
Ineligible candidates include:
- Travellers arriving on domestic flights into Toronto Pearson International Airport (for example, if you fly from London to Vancouver and then to Toronto, you are not eligible to participate)
- Travellers who:
- Have symptoms of COVID-19 at the time of entry to Canada
- Have been in contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the last 14 days
- Do not have an acceptable quarantine plan and/or need to quarantine at a federal quarantine site
- Would be spending less than 14 consecutive days in Ontario
How to participate
Before arriving at Toronto Pearson
- Complete ArriveCAN App submission
Use ArriveCAN to submit a quarantine plan and contact info before departing for Canada, as required by the Government of Canada. This is a requirement for entry into Canada as of November 21, 2020. This is not related to registration for Ontario’s airport testing pilot program.
- Complete Pre-Departure testing requirement
This is a requirement for entry into Canada as of 12:01 a.m. on January 7, 2021. This is not related to registration for Ontario’s airport testing pilot program.
- Register with Switch Health for the Arrivals Testing Pilot Program
After arriving in Toronto
After arriving and completing the customs process, pick up your luggage and follow directional signage to the testing area.
Travellers who have not pre-registered in advance of arriving in Toronto will have the opportunity to do so directly at the testing site. Pre-registration is strongly encouraged to expedite your testing experience.
At the testing area, you will self-administer your test under the supervision of Switch Health tele-nurse. The Switch Health tele-nurse will link your test sample to your Switch Health profile. After completing your test, you must immediately proceed to your quarantine location.
Switch Health will deliver your test sample to its lab for processing. Test results are typically available within 48 hours. When your results are available, you will get a notification through your preferred communication method (i.e. text or email selected at the time of testing) to go to the Switch Health digital platform to view your results.
If your test is negative for COVID-19—and the results of other program participants in your household are negative—you can continue your federally mandated 14-day quarantine. You must also remember to continue to use the ArriveCAN platform to complete your daily health checks.
If your test is positive for COVID-19, or indeterminate, you will be directed to your Public Health unit for COVID-19 case management, which includes continuing the 14-day period in isolation.
Questions and answers
The passenger experience
The test/The science
For any other questions related to testing, please email Switch Health at email@example.com.